Most of our studies are Think Out Loud studies (or TOL, for short). When taking a TOL study you'll speak your mind as you go through tasks. Even if you don’t understand the task at hand, talk us through it. We want to hear any and all of the thoughts that go through your mind when taking a study. That’s the whole point after all!
Here's what it'll look like to take a Desktop TOL study:
Here's what it'll look like to take a Mobile TOL study:
Some helpful tips for taking TOL studies:
- Take your time and speak out loud all your thoughts and opinions. If you feel like you have talked too much, you probably talked just enough. Feedback is the reason we're all here. Whether you love or hate a company’s website, speak your mind! We also want to hear your entire thought process, despite how obvious you may think it is.
- Don't stray from the task at hand. Take your time, read the directions carefully, and make sure you complete the whole task before moving on.
- Sit somewhere with good lighting. Make sure your face is well-lit and that there are no windows or bright lights behind you in your camera’s frame. All of these results will be denied.
- Make sure your camera and microphone are working properly. You should see your face and the audiometer in the taskbar.
- Wherever you end up taking studies, make sure it's a quiet area where no one will interrupt you during the course of the study. (Don't take studies in the bathroom.) In most cases, if you can hear it, we can too, so be sure to eliminate any background noise you can hear.
- Make sure to check that all of your equipment is working properly before starting a study and that you have a strong internet connection.
- Keep your study invitation email saved. If you have any questions or issues regarding a study, you’ll need to include the Unique Study ID provided in the study invitation email.